Old Stone Row was built by the 2nd U.S. Infantry between 1816-1819 as
part of a permanent safeguard against attack from the north. A 40-acre site was
selected for twin rows of officers quarters (Stone Row) flanked by
perpendicular rows of enlisted men's quarters, forming an open quadrangle
overlooking Black River Bay. It was nearly abandoned in 1877 following a fire
which destroyed half of Stone Row. Due to the intervention of Ulysses S. Grant,
assigned here after graduating from West Point, Stone Row was rebuilt and the
historic post remained active.
The Parade Grounds are part of the remains of the original
quadrangle. The 1890's master plan joined the Parade Grounds with the adjacent Polo Lawn into a sweeping campus that doubled the size of the 7th Filed
Artillery in 1922. Madison Barracks became well known for its horse activities.
Polo matches attracted spectators on Sunday afternoons and are yet played here
on an occasional summer day.
The Stone Tower was constructed in 1892 as part of a new water system
for the expanded Barracks. The Romanesque Revival structure resembles a
medieval fortification tower, with its rusticated limestone walls, narrow
windows, and rooftop observatory. A 55,000 gallon water tank was concealed
Officers Row is a row of five identical brick duplexes built in the
mid 1890's for officers newly stationed at the Barracks.
The Hospital is a superb grey limestone structure built in 1838 in
Greek Revival Style. Historic photographs show louvered and panelled shutters
and a rooftop widow's walk. Other notable features include fine Greek Revival
doorways, iron balconies, and quoined cornerstone work.
Fort Pike, named for Zebulon M. Pike, defended the northeastern end
of Sackets Harbor, and is proposed to become a village park in the near future.