|Welcome to Cape Vincent!
The Village of Cape Vincent was incorporated with a population of 1218 on
June 14, 1853, making it one of the younger communities in the State of New
York. But our historical roots reach back to 1615 when explorer Samuel de
Champlain was in the vicinity. In 1654 Jesuit Missionaries visited the native
Onondaga and Iriquois Indian tribes who used the area as their hunting grounds.
Dablon Point, in the Town of Cape Vincent was named after French Missionary
priest Father Dablon, who worked among the Indians with Father Chaumonoit in
1655. Both England and France endeavored to monopolize the Indian trade and
extend their influence among the native tribes, establishing missions, building
trading posts, and settling in the area.
Carelton and Linda Islands in the St. Lawrence River; and Grenadier, Little
Grenadier and Fox Islands in Lake Ontario are all part of the Township of Cape
Vincent, as are the hamlets of Rosiere, St. Lawrence Corners, Sand Bay, and
Fort Haldimand on Carleton Island played an important part in the
Revolutionary War, and the Tibbetts Point Lighthouse, located on shore where
Lake Ontario empties into the St. Lawrence River has been an important
navigation aid since 1827. It was rebuilt in 1854 and a fog horn was installed
in 1895. The lighthouse keeper's house currently serves as a Youth Hostel and
Cape Vincent has many historic homes, with thirty buildings on the State and
Federal Historic Register.
The Stone House was built by James LeRay de Chaumont in 1815 for his son
Vincent, for whom he named the village. The house was used in 1838 to house
Canadian Soldiers during the Patriot War. It was the first house in the area to
be built of stone, hence the name which has stuck to this day.